We're All Just a Slice of the Homeloaf

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Vegetarians?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brandio

PostSubject: Vegetarians?    Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:16 am

Any other vegetarians? What do you guys mostly eat... Being a uni student it is hard sometimes bcz I havae not a lot of time to prepare food! I love chocolate but that isnt good 4 u.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ayalla

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?    Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:06 am

I'm not vegetarian myself, but I'm interested in eating more vegetarian food. I just have zero fantasy when it comes to cooking, so I'll follow this thread for some inspiration myself.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dejligrosa.tumblr.com/
Prox

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?    Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:25 am

I have been mainly Vegetarian for the past two years due to ongoing stomach issues. I always used to joke around that I have the “Kurt Cobain stomach ailment”. The only way I can explain it is that I have been to many doctors throughout my childhood to treat stomach pain and they all said nothing was wrong with me. (Kurt Cobain stated he experienced the same symptoms in an interview once which is where I got the name. Probably a lack of good-taste saying this on my tart, but whatever.) Of course, the Doctors always suggested trying different diets. Being stubborn, especially in my childhood – I tended to ignore these and do whatever I wanted.

Anywho, I picked up “going veg” within the past two years and have been feeling better than ever. It could be a mental thing, but who cares? As long as you feel good right?
I am a bit lazy when it comes to cooking food – I tend to eat a ton of frozen and fresh veggies. There are a lot of bags at the store with frozen veggies that are really really really cheap. I also tend to eat grilled cheeses, tofu, tons of soup, pasta, chili, and bean burgers. Chili and soups are great to prep during the weekends and eat for quick lunches throughout the week.

For me, this is not much of a political or restrictive thing, but a personal feeling thing. I do still eat a lot of cheese and occasionally (rarely) I do eat meat (mainly fish). I also do not try to have family members “cater” to my diet when we get together. I do not know why I do this, I guess I just try hate being a burden – plus my Mom can whip up some amazing meals.

Think of it like this – anything you can make with meat you can generally figure out how to make without it. A chef will probably sigh and roll their eyes at that statement, but that is how I was able to adjust my eating habits.

Look-up veg recipes online and get creative! Make something small at first and keep experimenting.

Best of luck!

I am also open to recipes, so please please post anything you try out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ayalla

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?    Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:36 am

I don't think it's just a mental thing that you feel better. Some foods work for others and some don't, that's just one of the many things that makes us individuals Smile

I still eat red meat if someone serves it when I'm away, but I haven't actually bought and cooked it myself for a year now and I don't miss it at all. I still eat chicken and fish, mainly salmon, but I have tried a few vegetarian recipes lately. There are four of them I actually really liked. I'm not going to post entire recipes here since it's hard with conversions of measurements and such, but I can tell you what it's supposed to be in it. I do skip some things since I either don't eat them or don't use them normally so I don't bother to buy it, but it still turns out good.

Bean Stew

Potatoes
Mushrooms
Onion
Garlic
Red chili
Cumin
Cardamom
Sesame seeds
Mashed tomatoes
Coconut milk
Mixed beans

Enchiladas

Tortilla bread

Filling:

Cottage cheese
Red bell pepper
Red or green jalapeno
Grated cheese
Salt
Taco spices
Black pepper

Sauce:

Water
Green or red jalapeno
Tomato paste
Olive- or rapeseed oil
Salsa
Oregano
Salt
Creme fraiche

Indian lentil stew

Red lentils
Vegetable broth
Oil
Onion
Garlic
Garam masala (I didn't have it so I picked some of the individual spices and mixed myself. What I used was cumin, cardamom, grated ginger, black pepper, cinnamon and bay leaf)
Cumin
Ginger
Turmeric (for color only)
Yogurt (for cooking)

Serve with rice

Root vegetable gratin

Potatoes
Turnip
Carrots
Parsnip
(I added cauliflower last time just to try it and it was delicious!)

Cook the vegetables for ca 3 minutes before adding them to the form.

Grated cheese (mix most of it into the vegetables, save just a little for topping)
Cream (light for cooking)

If anyone wants entire recipes I could try and help with that, but remember that the recipes are in Swedish, so if you use other measurements than liters and gram I can't promise it will be 100% correct. Anyway, I hope this can be some inspiration ^^

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dejligrosa.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vegetarians?    

Back to top Go down

Vegetarians?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1