Home Loaf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're All Just a Slice of the Homeloaf

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Songs! Grr.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ayalla

Ayalla

Songs! Grr. Empty
PostSubject: Songs! Grr.   Songs! Grr. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 7:21 am

Does anyone else have trouble finding the kind of music that fit your voice? When I was in school a good 10 years ago now people used to say I had a Broadway voice. Today other people say I have a country voice and others say I don't. It's also hard when I try and listen to myself at home, because I just don't sound the same as I do when I'm recorded live. I don't know if it depends on the microphone or what happens. It's just, when I listen to myself on a live recording I can think, "Yeah, that's fine" but when I try the same song at home I think, "God, I sound like a 2 year old. What happened to my adult voice?". Yet I can scream into the mic to see if it's just a matter of me holding back more in the apartment, but nope!
Back to top Go down
http://dejligrosa.tumblr.com/
Saphira
Admin
Saphira

Songs! Grr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Songs! Grr.   Songs! Grr. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 10:51 am

Microphone definitely makes a big difference, figured this out recently because I bought a good one for my husband for his birthday. I tried recording with just a crappy mic for my computer and it made my voice sound horrible, but I listened through the new one and the difference is like night and day.
Back to top Go down
https://homeloaf.forumotion.com
Laura Anderson

Laura Anderson

Songs! Grr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Songs! Grr.   Songs! Grr. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 12:04 pm

The other thing is, Ayalla, the voice you hear in your head isn't the voice that other people hear. When you talk or sing, not only do you listen to your vocal cord's vibrations, but you also hear those vibrations going through your head. Other people won't hear that, they'll only hear the sound vibrations from your vocal cords.
Back to top Go down
Ayalla

Ayalla

Songs! Grr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Songs! Grr.   Songs! Grr. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 6:08 am

Aye. What I mean is that it sounds different between live recordings and home recordings too. But it doesn't matter now, my program stopped recognizing my mic yesterday and even after following the instructions on the internet from people with the same problem who fixed it I can't make it work again =/
Back to top Go down
http://dejligrosa.tumblr.com/
Nequissimus

Nequissimus

Songs! Grr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Songs! Grr.   Songs! Grr. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 am

The, recorded, voice depends a lot on everything in the chain between your voice and the listener.
Starting with the type, model and quality of the microphone, over the cables (which is dismissable in most cases since close to nobody uses cable that f***ek up it affects the signal a lot) over the pre-amp in the recording device, AD-converter (if recorigd digitally), file format, playback software, playback hardware...

In analog chains, that just go from mic, to mixer, to amp, to speaker (without FX and stuff) the quality of the hardware can color a lot as well Smile

In most cases i can say it's all about the mic (as said here already) and if you feel secure in your environment (as you said with "holding back" in your apartment).

But this is just from the persepctive of a shitty singer and mediocre home-recorder Smile I hope i could help anyways with my rambling.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/nequissimus
Sponsored content

Songs! Grr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Songs! Grr.   Songs! Grr. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Songs! Grr.
Page 1 of 1