Share | 

Anyone else trying to lose weight?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Saphira
Admin

PostSubject: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:08 pm

So after having my kids I gained a significant amount of weight and have found it really difficult to get rid of. Motivation is definitely lacking. Is there anyone else that's on a weight loss journey? Maybe we can help one another.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://homeloaf.forumotion.com
ALvT

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:26 pm

I would be happy to help. I went from 240 lbs to about 195 lbs over the course of 3-4 months (solely from running and some weightlifting). Unfortunately, I gained most of that weight back, and now I'd like to lose it all over again and hopefully even end up in better shape than I was at before.

Let the weight loss journey commence!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iris_osiris

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:06 am

About two years ago, I lost 60 pounds but have since gained them all back. Sadly, I let stress from work get the best of me. I'd like to lose it again, and gain some muscle if possible. I actually miss lifting weights.
Before, a big part of my diet was really just portion control. It really helped, it's just finding that right balance and saying "no" to eating purely out of boredom.
It can be done though!! Commitment!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ayalla

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:21 am

Yes! I've been overweight all my life despite eating the same things as my friends and playing the same games as them ever since I was little and yet I was the only big one. However, I gained what weight I have today after I quit smoking several years ago and I have tried to get rid of it without success. One part of the problem - that I know now today - is PCO, but it shouldn't be impossible. I've lost a little weight - two sizes in clothes - but I would need to lose like 6-7 more, so... I started at the gym and I'm eating a lot more vegetables and fresh food now than ever, yet not much happens even after six months. I could really use some help to keep my motivation and not give up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dejligrosa.tumblr.com/
Saphira
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Cool so it looks like we do have a few people here. Maybe we can start something that can help one another stay motivated.
Back to top Go down
brandio

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:01 pm

we can do like biggest loser compition
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ayalla

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:36 am

On an app I had before they added a feature where you could join a group where you shared what you did, so if you went to the gym, took a walk, went swimming, whatever activity you did, you could share it to help motivate the others. I'm not sure how that worked in reality though since I removed the app only one week after the group thing was implemented and people hadn't really begun using it yet, but it's a suggestion.

I don't know how far we should go though. I mean, should we just stick with saying, "Don't give up!" and "Try again!" if someone feel like they slip up with something or should we take it a step further and add a food diary thread? I don't know if anyone here knows enough about diet to be able to help with that front, but it might be a reality check for someone personally to really think about what they eat.

There are so many options Smile

Back to top Go down
iris_osiris

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Maybe like a exercise journal type thing?? Like, I did x amount of sit-ups or walked x amount??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saphira
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:28 am

Yeah we could try to keep food and exercise journals. There's websites for this but I think being in a small more intimate type of group could be helpful in staying on track. I feel like I just kinda get lost in the crowd on big sites.
Back to top Go down
Ayalla

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:59 am

*nods* I agree. A small group would be better at least for me personally. Like a group where we can get to know each other and really concentrate on the others as well as ourselves.

A thread for each of the journals or merge them into one?

Back to top Go down
Saphira
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:53 am

Ayalla wrote:
*nods* I agree. A small group would be better at least for me personally. Like a group where we can get to know each other and really concentrate on the others as well as ourselves.

A thread for each of the journals or merge them into one?

Whichever you all prefer is fine with me.
Back to top Go down
Ayalla

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:55 am

I think it might be good to separate them. Some people might eat well and want to concentrate more on exercise and others more on food Smile

Back to top Go down
iris_osiris

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:09 am

Ayalla wrote:
I think it might be good to separate them. Some people might eat well and want to concentrate more on exercise and others more on food Smile

That's a good point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saphira
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:15 am

Sounds good Smile

I'm going to try to track my calories and get more active. I was doing well for a while but I lost my job and fell into a pretty nasty depression. Since then it's been really hard to motivate and get moving.
Back to top Go down
Ayalla

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:27 am

Since it's been trouble with the gym thing between me getting money for it and the gym changing owner so it's been closed for a period and stuff I've become a little bit too comfortable, but I usually use an app to track how much I walk and how many calories I burn what I could work on could be to take a few extra walks every week to up it a bit. I can take screenshots and post the results there and try to aim for the recommended minimum of 10,000 steps every day, but preferably more at least a few times every week.

I can open an exercise journal thread so we can get started somewhere Smile

Back to top Go down
ivoryfrog

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:36 pm

I am trying to lose weight and improve my fitness Smile
Had 2 kids and been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid - seems to be making it really tough to lose anything.
I have quite a bit to lose, just seems so daunting, but I guess I just have to take small steps to get there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saphira
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:55 pm

ivoryfrog wrote:
I am trying to lose weight and improve my fitness Smile
Had 2 kids and been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid - seems to be making it really tough to lose anything.
I have quite a bit to lose, just seems so daunting, but I guess I just have to take small steps to get there.

I don't seem to have any thyroid issues according to doctors but still struggle hard to lose weight, not sure what it is for me but I feel your pain. And I know exactly what you mean about it seeming so daunting. If I lose at a healthy rate (2lbs per week) it'll take me more than a year to get back to where I was prior to my kids.
Back to top Go down
ivoryfrog

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:13 pm

Saphira wrote:

I don't seem to have any thyroid issues according to doctors but still struggle hard to lose weight, not sure what it is for me but I feel your pain. And I know exactly what you mean about it seeming so daunting. If I lose at a healthy rate (2lbs per week) it'll take me more than a year to get back to where I was prior to my kids.

Seems we have almost the same amount we wish to lose. Smile
I lost about 14lbs before the summer holidays but then with the kids off it just all went wrong again!
In my head it seems like it shouldn't be so hard - I love veggies etc, and am a good cook so can make healthy meals... I think portion size / kids leftovers could be my downfall.  Also I was brought up to "clean my plate" before I was allowed pudding! So I tend to always finish what is on my plate, without really thinking about it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ayalla

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:19 pm

I wish I was as lucky as you. If I keep losing weight at the same rate I did when I was to the gym three times a week, it would take me four or five years to reach my ideal weight. It's a really slow process and it's easy to think, "Screw this, it's not working anyway, I might as well stop torturing myself and just not care instead".

Back to top Go down
ivoryfrog

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Ayalla wrote:
I wish I was as lucky as you. If I keep losing weight at the same rate I did when I was to the gym three times a week, it would take me four or five years to reach my ideal weight. It's a really slow process and it's easy to think, "Screw this, it's not working anyway, I might as well stop torturing myself and just not care instead".

I have the same thoughts, I have been trying to lose this weight since having my daughter (my youngest is now 9, so I can't call it baby weight anymore, hehe)

Some weeks I lose a little, some weeks I gain it back.. some weeks I just eat junk and go through periods of emotional eating.

It is so hard.  I have around 100lbs to lose to reach what all the charts say is a good weight for my height (I am only 5ft 3inches)
So, yea if I managed to lose 2lbs a week it would be about a year... but in reality I pretty much never lose 2lbs in a week Sad

I can eat all the right things, do the exercise and generally "be good" and lose nothing, its so frustrating!

At the moment I am trying the 5:2 eating plan (2 fast days of no more than 500cals and "normal" eating the other 5) but life keeps getting in the way so I might have to rethink

We can do it, it just might take some time. x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ayalla

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:44 pm

*goes to a weight converter* That's the same as me then. I have at least 110 lbs to lose as well. I'm glad you joined the exercise thread Smile I'm going to take one last walk before posting the next screenshot, but then we're at it!

Back to top Go down
Saphira
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 am

ivoryfrog wrote:
Ayalla wrote:

I have the same thoughts, I have been trying to lose this weight since having my daughter (my youngest is now 9, so I can't call it baby weight anymore, hehe)

Some weeks I lose a little, some weeks I gain it back.. some weeks I just eat junk and go through periods of emotional eating.

It is so hard.  I have around 100lbs to lose to reach what all the charts say is a good weight for my height (I am only 5ft 3inches)
So, yea if I managed to lose 2lbs a week it would be about a year... but in reality I pretty much never lose 2lbs in a week Sad

I can eat all the right things, do the exercise and generally "be good" and lose nothing, its so frustrating!

At the moment I am trying the 5:2 eating plan (2 fast days of no more than 500cals and "normal" eating the other 5) but life keeps getting in the way so I might have to rethink

We can do it, it just might take some time. x

A tip I've read is if you know you're going to have busy days coming up prepare your meals ahead of time. So if you're trying to stay on the 500 cal for those fasting days prepackage your meals for that day.

I'm probably going to try to get back into a 1400 cal a day diet and get some exercise in. I deal with a lot of body aches and pains so I almost always don't want to do it but I know I need to. I'm going to start tomorrow since today we ended up eating out and I don't even want to know how many calories I consumed.
Back to top Go down
ivoryfrog

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:10 am

Saphira wrote:
A tip I've read is if you know you're going to have busy days coming up prepare your meals ahead of time. So if you're trying to stay on the 500 cal for those fasting days prepackage your meals for that day.

I'm probably going to try to get back into a 1400 cal a day diet and get some exercise in. I deal with a lot of body aches and pains so I almost always don't want to do it but I know I need to. I'm going to start tomorrow since today we ended up eating out and I don't even want to know how many calories I consumed.

That's a great idea, will have to either buy more food storage boxes or rescue some back from my kids! (they store their loom bands in them, lol)
I ended up ordering food in last night, wishing I hadn't now though, the scales were not kind to me this morning.

Just waiting for my phone/mp3 player and fitbit to charge up and I am gonna head out for a walk though! Get this started Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ayalla

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:30 am

Is anyone interested in a food journal thread or are we happy with the exercise journal for the moment?

Back to top Go down
ivoryfrog

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:17 pm

A food journal might be useful for some... I only really track what I am eating 2 days a week (the 2 fast days on the 5:2 diet) the rest of the week I just try eat when I am hungry without keeping an eye on it too much.
If you think it would be useful for you, I say go for it! Smile
I would use it when I do track those 2 days for sure Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else trying to lose weight?   

Back to top Go down

Anyone else trying to lose weight?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next