Home Loaf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're All Just a Slice of the Homeloaf

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When people buy your album / EP.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
eqavox

eqavox

When people buy your album / EP. Empty
PostSubject: When people buy your album / EP.   When people buy your album / EP. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 10:28 am

Hey guys.

Today, I got a rare treat when checking me e-mails. It was a notification of sale for my latest album on bandcamp. I really appreciate it when people buy my music ... Hell I really appreciate it when people so much as listen to it, but the fact the purchased it just amazes me and I get this warm, fuzzy feeling. I always make sure to write back to people individually to thank them for their support too.

However, Sometimes, when the euphoria dies down, I get anxious and think things like:
"There are far better produced things out there people could buy with their money"
And feel kinda bad that somebody has had to shell out money for my music. (Notice the word "Had", I know they didn't have to, they obviously liked my music enough to want to buy it) which is great but sometimes, I guess, I just feel like my music isn't worth peoples money.

At the same time, however, when I spend so much time making these albums (About a year on average) that part of me thinks it is well deserved and if they like it, who am I to argue.

I don't want anybody to be under the impression I am ungrateful, As I am not, Just conflicted but still extremely appreciative.

I think maybe its because I spent so long making it and listening and re-listening to the tracks to get the mixes as clean as possible and a few months later I find myself thinking "My god ... I should have done that with this part" or ... "That vocal could have probably used ..." ect.

I know it is good to be critical of ones old work, And this shows I am thinking more critically and learning and developing, meaning my third album should be MILES better when I finally get around to it but then I feel as if people are paying for something that I deemed "Finished and awesome" and the time and less so now ... Something unfinished, with flaws and then I feel bad and get down about it. Is this normal ?

I am guessing it is good in a sense as it is pushing me to go above and beyond production wise every new album I make and I can, realistically, only get better from this point, but I just hate feeling bad that somebody was kind enough to buy my music and support me.

I hope this makes sense to somebody, Replies would be really appreciated. Thanks

Ryan
Back to top Go down
TSHmusic

TSHmusic

PostSubject: Re: When people buy your album / EP.   When people buy your album / EP. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 4:47 pm

I understand your problem, but I can't relate. My philosophy towards my music making has always been to release everything for free and wait for a reliable fanbase to start selling my tracks.

It's always tough to look back at old tracks 'cause you always find stuff to change. I can imagine that that is even harder when you're having people pay for your music.

If I were you I would look at it like this. You happened to mention that you got an A in your favorite subject for you old grandma and she gets so excited and happy for you that she puts 5 dollars and some cookies in your hand and won't accept a no. You have put a lot of time into this favorite subject but even that is a reward for you, to do what you really like as a class for school. She gave you that because she thinks you did great and that you deserve to be appreciated for your hard work!

Hope you get what I'm trying to say. The people willing to pay to own a piece of your music made a choice between you and Zomboy, or you and Foo Fighters, or you and that album where the Beatles walks across the road. Be happy about it.

EDIT: Read my post again, and god I hope I didn't come off as rude Embarassed Sorry if I did.

Last edited by TSHmusic on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MuggsMajandhra

MuggsMajandhra

PostSubject: Re: When people buy your album / EP.   When people buy your album / EP. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 11:21 pm

I totally get where you're coming from. And this is something I need to remind myself of as well.
But at the end of the day I'll just echo what TSH said: They chose your music.

Sure, there's better stuff out there. But maybe your piece resonates with someone in a specific way. Or maybe they recognize some potential in your music and want to help you develop. There's a whole variety of reasons why they could've decided to give you a few bucks at that particular moment.

And yeah, it's hard not to be overly critical of past songs. But that comes with territory when you're improving on something. You just have to take that knowledge and put it into your next song.

Even knowing all that, it's not easy to keep in mind. But maybe being able to look at this thread will act as a barrier for some excess negativity.
Back to top Go down
https://soundcloud.com/muggs-majandhra
eqavox

eqavox

PostSubject: Re: When people buy your album / EP.   When people buy your album / EP. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 7:57 am

Thanks Guys, Appreciate the responses. No you didn't come off as Darude and I totally see your points. I did the free music thing for a LONG time (about 8 years) but they spent £450 on better studio equipment and making an album, The quality was much better and I thought "I need to try and get back some of the money I have invested in this ... I will never get it all back, but I am going to have to start charging, just for albums"

I still do free EP's occasionally too to keep the audience happy (Mostly around Christmas time as a present for their support).

I guess it's difficult when you invest so much into something you love and want to do it as a living but can't realistically do that. Even getting "comission" work is extremely rare and has only happened once for weebl, which was an amazing first commission, but I just wish that the people that contacted me for music for games ect wouldn't lose interest the second I mention payment. At the end of the day we are all trying to make a living and should be paid for our services and time, even if it's a small donation or something.

I know it's not all about the money but since I am technically unemployed at the moment, I need to be getting something until I can find another normal job lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When people buy your album / EP.   When people buy your album / EP. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When people buy your album / EP.
Page 1 of 1