Home Loaf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're All Just a Slice of the Homeloaf

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
yetanotherman

Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Empty
PostSubject: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been registered on boyinaband.com forum, I guess now it moved here? Smile
Back to top Go down
https://soundcloud.com/yetanotherman
The Waiter

The Waiter

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 11:32 am

Well, you are half right. I think most of the people on this forum (including me) know who Dave is and respect his work but this forum's goal is to be more open to the public, and let everyone share their work and interests. as I remember, the BIAB forum focused mainly on music, while the Homeloaf doesn't focus on any specific subject. By the way, what are the things you are interested in and plan to share here?
Back to top Go down
yetanotherman

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 3:47 pm

My main interest is music. Generally, I'm looking for feedback on my tracks and, most likely, will share some ideas. Well, if this place is not completely dead Smile
Back to top Go down
The Waiter

The Waiter

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Well, this forum is way smaller than before, but still a little active. Personally, I'll try to feedback as many tracks I can. By the way, 5 seconds after I left the previews reply I realised that you are the same person who liked my track and I liked your on Soundcloud LOL
Back to top Go down
yetanotherman

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 10:36 am

Yeah, thats me Smile BTW, I've uploaded some stems, check out - they're in description of last track.
Back to top Go down
AyameruRuieki

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi and welcome to the community Smile

before i wrote i had to listen to your music. You have nice sound . i like your dnb song alot.

since it always interests me when people started and how the process was going on i would ask you if you could say something about this . i guess this could be a motivation for many others.

And of course im interested of equipment which is used (including daw and vst (or that apple format (forgot that name ... aiff? )) tools)
Back to top Go down
yetanotherman

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 5:02 pm

AyameruRuieki wrote:
Hi and welcome to the community Smile

before i wrote i had to listen to your music. You have nice sound . i like your dnb song alot.

since it always  interests me when people started and how the process was going on i would ask you if you could say something about this . i guess this could be a motivation for many others.

And of course im interested of equipment which is used (including daw and vst (or that apple format (forgot that name ... aiff? )) tools)  

Thats exactly what I was planning to do, but not sure, how to start. There are lots of tutorials on how to design some particular sounds or how to build a track in a given genre, but nobody shows the whole path from original idea to finished song. While working on a tune I bounce it after each session to my soundcloud account as a private track - that way I can listen to it while walking home or somewhere else and leave a note to myself, if I have an idea on what to change. I rarely delete them, and even if I do so, I always keep some most important changes for history. So, in fact, I can show the progress and tell, how I got there.

This particular thing started from a drunk record in my iPad that I made during New Years party. My friend Kristina sang us this song, originally it was (to my ears) something between folk and rock-n-roll (she played ukulele - you know, such a little funny guitar Smile ). I said, that I'm going to make drum-n-bass thing from this, but nobody believed me, so, I had to do it Smile Of course, we overdubbed the original with a good quality record we made two days after.

Regarding tools I use... I use Ableton, Massive, TAL Noise Maker (its free but very cool) and a free effects bundle from MeldaProduction - mainly for mastering. Also, I don't have a lot of samples - I have some free packs that came with Novation controllers or something else, also I've bought one or two packs of one-shots.

Oh! I love sampling live sounds a lot! The part before dubstep drop is my washing machine gone wild with some dimmer buzz heavily eq'ed and some synth low end on top Smile

The "Hulk" thing was the first track I actually produced on some good gear. Everything else had been done with SoundBlaster card and different HiFi sound systems I already had in my house. Still, the vocals in "Hulk" had been recorded with very crappy M-Audio M-Track Eight interface that had a lot of problems (but somewhat good ADC). Also, I use AT2020 mic - its cheap but good.

If you're going to invest some money in your music making hobby or business - buy a good monitors first! Thats the only thing that actually made a huge difference to my sound. I use Mackie MR8mkIII and love it. I could enumerate other gear I bought recently, but don't think this would be motivating Smile Its good to have a good gear, but in fact I started to make music to prove my friend that he can do it without buying lots of stuff. I started buying things only after I became sure I'm totally in love with making music and won't stop.
Back to top Go down
AyameruRuieki

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 5:43 pm

yetanotherman wrote:

Oh! I love sampling live sounds a lot! The part before dubstep drop is my washing machine gone wild with some dimmer buzz heavily eq'ed and some synth low end on top Smile

Made me laugh so hard . That's such a friggin cool idea .
yetanotherman wrote:

If you're going to invest some money in your music making hobby or business - buy a good monitors first! Thats the only thing that actually made a huge difference to my sound. I use Mackie MR8mkIII and love it. I could enumerate other gear I bought recently, but don't think this would be motivating Smile
Sure thing but a real overkill for the beginning. a good keyboard and good headphones ... studio typed... never ever a stereo headphone they are build to sound nice ... and neutral sound is more important but hmm... we might should do a thread about starting equipment . what do you think ?
Back to top Go down
yetanotherman

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 10:54 pm

My point is if you have something you use for music listening on a regular basis - that would be the best gear to start with, because your brain knows that system and compensates for its artifacts itself (and that includes headphones), so, its better to buy nothing at the beginning. The other reason I doubt there are any point in beginner's hardware thread is the fact that the limitation of newbie is experience, not hardware. I don't think its a good idea to pretend buying something would compensate the lack of practice.

Also, in general, there are no way to finish a track using headphones only - here is an good article on mixing in headphones:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/articles/mixingheadphones.htm

Headphones is an interesting topic. We hear close sources in a very different way due to a number of reasons - and this effect may vary on situation like noise level around us, volume level and so on, so, even studio headphones may have some sweetening to compensate for it. In general, it is one of the reasons you do not want to rely on headphones when doing any mixing decision.

So when you start thinking about buying some gear for the first time, consider buying monitor speakers first. Thats what I learned from my experience by not doing so Smile

A midi keyboard is a nice thing to have, but I doubt it is necessery from the very beginning either. I've started with 49 keys, so, I can't tell, will small keyboard be useful or not.

And, most important, be aware, that I might be mistaken, I'm not a pro to give such kind of advices, I can only tell from my experience and about what works for me.
Back to top Go down
AyameruRuieki

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Agree. it depends on what you want to do.
Highend-stuff is not needed at all i agree there and if 49 keys are fitting your need is depending of what style you do . If you do modern stuff sure thing 49 keys with octave switcher would fit .
But if you want to do classic you will need at least 61 keys.

But thats just keyboarding stuff .

One thing which is often made wrong (at least in germany it seems to be that way ) is to buy an expensive guitar but a 20w amp.

That is of course wasted money. Like with other devices there it is important to know the weakest chain in the queue.

That's why i thought about making a thread with some advices what you shouldnt do when buying gear.

you are right when you say know your system first. But here you are going from the point that you already have a system. What i mean is the point zero.
Back to top Go down
yetanotherman

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 11:08 am

AyameruRuieki wrote:
What i mean is the point zero.

Oh, I've been sleepy and haven't understood you right.
Regarding keyboard and other instruments - yes, I've been looking from electronic music point of view, where midi keyboard or other instrument is not strictly required. Of course, it depends a lot on stuff you're going to do. But musical instruments is a whole different topic.

Regarding other stuff - from my experience its better to have monitoring at first priority. If can't afford yet - sure, go with headphones, but don't go buying other stuff - it would be nearly useless, better save for monitors. But thats only my point of view and my experience based on my mistakes Smile I know one really successful DnB producer who uses very shitty speakers he got from the time he was a teenager, but that doesn't affect his production quality in any way, and he is like a 10 years in business.
Back to top Go down
AyameruRuieki

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 4:06 pm

what do you mean with "other stuff" do you mean synths ? or what are you talking about ?

dnb producer with shitty speakers? is it one which is known ? or a mostly unknown dnb artist?
Back to top Go down
yetanotherman

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 1:25 pm

I mean, I tried to go "monitors are overkill for newbie" route myself, and bought headphones/keyboard and some other controllers/sound card in the first place. That had zero impact, I could do the same thing with just my laptop and cheap headphones, not buying anything at all. No matter I learned to play keys to some degree, I still could not get better (any) results because I was stuck at mixing stage for each track. Buying monitors (the price was the same as all the stuff I already bought) changed this and now I can actually benefit from what I bought before. So, it was not waste of money, but waste of time - one year to be exact.

Just wanted to prevent anyone else from doing the same mistake. And yes, for non-electronic genres things may differ.

Also, I don't want to demotivate anyone, who do not have an ability for whatever reason to use monitors or even just speakers, thats why I told about that producer who had the opposite situation to mine.

Well, he is not worldwide star, but is famous in local D'n'B community for taking major role in creating the community itself Very Happy
He produce D'n'B under name Implex, there are some of his works on youtube, but there are no complete information in english for his music.
So, not that famous as Chase and Status, but definitely not an average bedroom-studio guy. And, of course, by saying shitty speakers I don't mean "No Bass", that does not make any sense. I mean very non-linear frequency response and price < $100. I don't know why he loves it that much, I thought he's joking until I saw the picture of his home setup.
Back to top Go down
AyameruRuieki

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Well this is quite interesting. So he uses regular stereo speakers (5.1 home cinema systems are included as regular in my point of view ) .

well i would say it depends on the style or better said the instruments you use if you need monitors that hard or if good headphones do the stuff. It also depens on the kind of music you do if monitors are better than headphones or the other way round. I would really differ there . sure thing with headphones there is the problematic you mentioned but this does not always have to be an obstacle it also can be an advantage depending what you do with it.

Necessity begets ingenuity.
Back to top Go down
yetanotherman

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Yes, he uses regular stereo speakers. I think he check his tracks on many systems, but that is still surprising for me. I mean, he owns some expensive gear and I'm sure he has an ability to work with better system.

For sure, the type of monitoring you need is dependent on what genre you're going to work with. Also, I think, its okay to mix like two tracks of acoustic instruments in headphones. However, despite its being theoretically possible, I'm not aware of anyone who rely on headphones at final stages of mixing. Do you know anyone with some quality music, no matter what genre?
Back to top Go down
AyameruRuieki

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 8:04 pm

no i dont know one who just rely either only on the headphones or on the monitor. it's both all the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)   Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi! I'm from boyinaband.com forum :)
Page 1 of 1