Home Loaf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're All Just a Slice of the Homeloaf

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NANOWRIMO 2014

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
catrin

catrin

NANOWRIMO 2014 Empty
PostSubject: NANOWRIMO 2014   NANOWRIMO 2014 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 pm

Hey guys!

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who's interested in/is doing Nanowrimo this year?
To anyone who doesn't know about it, it's a 50K writing challenge which is held every November, with just over 630,000 people competing last year. It's completely free (though they do accept donations to keep the sites and events running), and they have forums to chat with other people taking the challenge, ways to track your progress over the month, and even events and write-ins organised all over the world to get to know other 'wrimos'.

It's an incredibly fun and crazy event, and I would highly recommend it to any writers out there, especially those who are struggling to write a first draft or just don't feel like they can find the time to write.
The point of the event is to get people focused on their writing for one month, to hopefully come out the other end with a piece of work - no matter how short or rough it is (editing is for later, many also vow to revise their novels in January). Even if you have never written anything before, nanowrimo is a great 'kickstart' if you have never been able to find the time or confidence to start writing (there are plenty of people who are not writers and have never written before who take the challenge - I was a first-timer last year and I won)!

They do also have events in the summer (Camp Nanowrimo) which are slightly more casual - there's a wider variety of word count goals and I think there is also more leeway for a range of writing that the main event can't easily cater for (e.g. scriptwriting - not completely sure on this though). There is also a site for young people (under 18's), but you can choose to participate on the 'adult' site from ages 13 upwards.

I hope that some of you will join me and the rest of the nanowrimo community this November! Very Happy

Links:
Main site: http://nanowrimo.org/
Blog: http://blog.nanowrimo.org/
Young Writer's Program: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/
Camp NaNoWriMo: http://campnanowrimo.org/about
Back to top Go down
Schnapple (Shania)

Schnapple (Shania)

NANOWRIMO 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NANOWRIMO 2014   NANOWRIMO 2014 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Hey catrin!
I'm glad someone else knows of Camp Nanowrimo! I haven't really done much on the site besides the camps, but I've attempted to set small goals to help me get major sections of writing done during the month. The problem is: I have a terrible case of procrastination and I tend to forget about the site halfway through the month. Hopefully, with the help of the fellow homeslices, I might just find the motivation to reach my first goal during Camp Nanowrimo!
Back to top Go down
Halogen-
Admin
Halogen-

NANOWRIMO 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NANOWRIMO 2014   NANOWRIMO 2014 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Oh man -- I know some people that have been working on some concepts for Camp NaNoWriMo and plan on doing the full challenge come November. I like to think that I am a reasonably good writer, but the goal is so incredibly intense... coming out to near 1,700 words per day on every single day of the month is just a tad bit beyond feasibility to me.
Back to top Go down
http://flashflashrevolution.com/profile/TC_Halogen
FelixFullhouse

FelixFullhouse

NANOWRIMO 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NANOWRIMO 2014   NANOWRIMO 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 12:25 am

Hey there I've been doing Nano for 4 years I love it it's one of the best items of the year Smile I'd really like to so it again this year but I haven't has any ideas yet :/ I'm working on a short with my friend in the next few weeks so until that's out my head I can't really think of anything to write for Nano
Back to top Go down
catrin

catrin

NANOWRIMO 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NANOWRIMO 2014   NANOWRIMO 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:23 pm

Schnapple (Shania) wrote:
Hey catrin!
I'm glad someone else knows of Camp Nanowrimo! I haven't really done much on the site besides the camps, but I've attempted to set small goals to help me get major sections of writing done during the month. The problem is: I have a terrible case of procrastination and I tend to forget about the site halfway through the month. Hopefully, with the help of the fellow homeslices, I might just find the motivation to reach my first goal during Camp Nanowrimo!
I haven't actually done the camp yet, but I'm going to try to next year as it looks soooo good - and more flexibility with goals would be nice Very Happy - I had planned to do it this year, but I was on holiday without a computer or internet connection for most of the month... it was a bit inconvenient to say the least, so I decided to just wait for next year's. Rolling Eyes  
I'm sure we can all band together as a team and keep each other motivated this November - also, have you tried using the widgets? I used a widget in all my forum and email signatures last year, it really helped me to stay on track Smile

Halogen- wrote:
Oh man -- I know some people that have been working on some concepts for Camp NaNoWriMo and plan on doing the full challenge come November. I like to think that I am a reasonably good writer, but the goal is so incredibly intense... coming out to near 1,700 words per day on every single day of the month is just a tad bit beyond feasibility to me.
It is really intense - but it is do-able. Personally, I found that getting up earlier and doing most of my word count then made it much easier. It made me realise how much time I actually wasted when I could be doing something productive.Laughing
For me, the intensity makes it more fun, and it's so worth it just for the pride at the end if do you win. It's a truly crazy month.

FelixFullhouse wrote:
Hey there I've been doing Nano for 4 years I love it it's one of the best items of the year Smile I'd really like to so it again this year but I haven't has any ideas yet :/ I'm working on a short with my friend in the next few weeks so until that's out my head I can't really think of anything to write for Nano
Yeah, I haven't got anything planned yet either - I really need to start soon, not planning enough was a big disadvantage for me last year... I just hope I come up with a good, detailed plan in time... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lia

Lia

NANOWRIMO 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NANOWRIMO 2014   NANOWRIMO 2014 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:52 am

Oh God, so many fellow WriMos here! That's wonderful Smile

I've been participating since 2011 but never won once; I am used to writing short stories, and in general I can write four or five of them in a month, but I'm never close to 50K. Plus I always spend my time organizing write-ins and meet-ups and that's awesome because my city has a really nice community of wrimos. It allowed me to meet many great people. So not only is this wonderful when it comes to creativity, but there is a social aspect to it as well. I love it.

I need to start planning for November too, still haven't done anything yet. I have to hurry a bit ><
Back to top Go down
http://lia404.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

NANOWRIMO 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NANOWRIMO 2014   NANOWRIMO 2014 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NANOWRIMO 2014
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Home Loaf :: Creative Corner :: Writing-
Jump to: